Saturday 12 October 2013

Pigney's wood

Yesterday, we returned to Pigney's Wood. We walked from the car park to the Old Barn picnic area.


Although it wasn't raining, it was very wet underfoot. The going was difficult because of the uneven ground and numerous mole-hills.

Ron had a good long chase and met a gun dog outside the barn. After the usual doggy greetings, they ignored one another and went their separate ways.










The Old Barn is also an information point with posters of the flora and fauna of England.








As we made our way back to the car, I became aware that both my feet were very soggy. I was wearing my Rhode Waterproof boots so couldn't understand how my socks had become totally soaked. Back in the car, I removed boots and socks. The soles of both boots were cracked right through to the insoles. Unlike my Clarkes' waterproof boots, bought in the late 1990s, which have leather soles that can be repaired, the Rhoede (c 2009) boots are synthetic and cannot. The only other waterproof boots I have with me are Wellingtons - hardly suitable for walking long distances on uneven ground.



We returned to Hayler's Retreat and MWNN brought out my waterproof shoes and dry socks for our post-lunch walk around North Walsham. This proved surprisingly short. We visited the Parish Church of St Nicholas, then failed to find a suitable shoe shop to purchase new boots.










Lunch was taken at The Bluebell Inn - another fine pub serving many real ales and a good rib-eye steak that was so large I took half home for supper.