Thursday 18 March 2010


I subscribe to Let's Knit Magazine. When I opened the April edition, I knew I had to have a version of 'Paige', a sweet little tabbard in aran weight yarn.

I had 3 skeins of Posh Yarn Sylvia in a lovely blue called 'South Beach' (it's solid but contains flashes of lighter and darker blue)  but wasn't sure that there was enough for even the smallest size (UK 10).

I cast on and completed it in just two days.  I wasn't sure that the thing would work as the back and front are identical, with no shaping for bum or boobs.




The tabbard is fastened using 6 buttons down each side. Somehow, this adjusts the fitting so that boobs and bum are catered for and the neckline magically becomes higher at the back.


I'd ordered 12 peacock blue shell buttons to fasten each side seam. They''re perfect and take on the colour of the yarn as the light falls on them.

I re-named the tabbard 'Sailor Blue' after the colours of the yarn and buttons.

The double-rib bottom makes the body billow and I look a little portly in it but it  is so very cosy and definitely my colour. The next version is already on the needles in a dark boat-proof colour and much cheaper yarn. My Sailor Blue tabbard is for 'posh' days ashore.