Wednesday 22 September 2021

Re-visiting Godmanchester after almost 30 years

 

Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to take a trip to Godmanchester. The weather was lovely and not too hot. I couldn't take Levant II as I'm getting her ready for my October Road Trip to the Suffolk Coast.I packed a picnic for Alf and me in the rear of the Berlingo. The back seat is set up as a couch with back-of-front-seat- tables. I also have an emergency pee device with sealed cover and cleaning wipes.






I haven't been to Godmachester since the early 1990s. Eamonn and I used to hire broadbeam barges and cruise the River Great Ouse during school half terms. We couldn't afford the main school holidays (one of the reasons we bought our own narrowboat.)








Godmanchester has changed so much, and yet the old town, beside the river's end, remains the same. The fishing club is still there and the trees in the park are more mature and in fabulous condition.







The blackberries are all gone, but the elderberries were there in profusion. Alf had been a bit jittery in the car, but, as soon as he saw the park, watermeadows, and ducks, he cheered up. He didn't even mind staying on-lead for the whole walk. 








We crossed the sluices that relieve the river in time of floods. On our walk, we meet a couple from the Manchester area. They were interested in Gordmanchester's history and keen to know of more places to visit. As they were returning home on Thursday, I suggested Ely and St Neots. We talked about boats (her father lived on a boat, including a narrowboat. It was such a strange experience, talking to strangers on my own, but quite lovely.




The view across the morring pond to the old houses and shops brought back many memories of visiting the town. There was a fabulous teashop called The Copper Kettle that no longer exists. Such a shame.








The spire of St Mary the Virgin overlooks the 'pond'. Godmanchester is a timeless place out here in the Cambridgeshire Fens. I understand why the Manchester couple were so intrigued to visit from their holiday stay in Cambridge.




The old Mill Steps are being renovated to form a green space for the community, and to help the eels and fish along this stretch of the river.






I was parked in the (free) Mill carpark. After our walk, Alf and I had a drink and some lunch and then, on another whim, headed to another old haunt of Levant - our permanent mooring in Ramsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment