Wednesday 22 September 2021

Mooring at Ramsey.

 



Our first mooring in the UK was on the Middle Levels at Ramsey. In 1994, the Marina was newly dug out (by John Shotbolt, boat-builder) and we were one of the first narrowboats to choose it for our permanent mooring.





Our first place was just inside the entrance gate - a sluice that could be closed in times of flood. There is a lovely boat there now, with a 'stern house' on the back to keep the helmsman dry and warm.






There was just one pond, with pump out, water, and facilities beside the launch ramp. We had to cross the pond to access the facilities. One year, we had Levant pulled up the ramp by tractor so that Eamonn could clean and black the bottom.




From our position beside the gate, we could walk the banks of the 'lode' (the fens were drained in the 17th century by a Dutch engineer, Cornelius Vermuyden) with the dogs.  I love this part of England. The skies are big, and dark. I saw the comet, Hyakutake in January 1996 during my year of sick leave. I thought I was dreaming, so drew it on the chalk board we used for shoping lists.  









Bill Fen marina is much changed. There are two 'new ponds' making it a very large mooring spot. Many of the boats are liveaboard. There's even a private bridge (John's Bridge) across High Lode.








I walked across John's bridge to take a photo of the narrow entrance gate to the marina. If there was a wind, it was a difficult manoever as the gate was just wide enough for a narrowboat. The loner you were, the closer to the opposite bank your bows went. Some long boats needed to do a three-point turn to straighten up along High Lode.





John Shotbolt is still running the Marina. His wife, Lynn died last year and he is obviously still in a bad way. He has lost a lot of weight and, though he said he remembered me and Eamonn and Levant, I don't think he did. John built the House and Marina office buildings himself. He still keeps gundogs. Kilo was trained as a pup alongside his gundog Annie.





We left Bill Fen in April, 2000, to begin new 14 year Adventure on the Waterways of France. The saplings on the bank are now fully-mature trees.





On the way home, I passed the Raptor Foundation on the St Ives Road. Having decided it would not be considerate to ask if I could spend my birthday at Bill Fen, I've booked a half-day with the birds. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I will look for a Safe Drive near Ely so that I can spend the night in the area.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment