Wednesday 22 June 2022

Back in the Slow Lane





From my base at Cakes and Ale, there is easy access to many interesting and lovely places in Suffolk. Having discovered Sizewell Beach, with its flat pathway alongside the shingle beach,  a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to explore the sandy edge that appears at low tide.













It was well worth the careful descent and hard climb back up the shingle. 










After the first part of our walk, Alf and I shared a bacon bap in the shade of an umbrella beside Sizewell Tea. 

We were both glad of a rest in the shade and drinks ( water for Alf, tea for me), as the weather was much hotter than forecast.






After lunch, we  began part two of the walk, along the path by the shingle, through the cabbage patches,










and past the fishing boats hauled above the high-tide mark.











We took note of the warning about adders,













restrictions on the fish catches off this part of the coast,














and another WWII Memorial to the Dutch men who had rowed across the North Sea, to join the Allies Forces.











I found the wild poppies, growing nearby, in the sand, to be particularly poignant.
















The Memorial was erected in 2009, by the Society of Engelandvaarders, in memory of the 32 rowers who made the journey.





I like to learn when I visit new places. 14 years cruising in France encouraged the taste for exploration and education. I certainly learned more about WWII, today.




On the way home, I stopped at the Vulcan Arms, to ask if I needed to book a table for lunch tomorrow. I never did find out, as it opens only Thursday - Sunday. I was motivated to learn about the pub sign.  Which Vulcan was it named after? Depends on when you're asking.








I feel more like me than I have done for the past ten years (Eamonn was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2012).  Having my own base and some sessions with a clinical psychologist, I'm ready to make my own decisions again, and continue the journey in The Slow Lane beside the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment