Friday 15 April 2022

New Adventures, making new memories.

 

Eamonn and I enjoyed a very full, and rich life together. One of our sayings was "What adventures we've had". I've been missing this a lot.



I've decided that a touring caravan is an ideal replacement for the narrowboat. It can be moved if necessary, but can have a permanent base paid for annually. It's actually cheaper than owning a boat, as there are no waterways fees to consider.

I've bought a Swift Challenger 504, 2007.

It's a four berth with a fixed bed at the back, with ensuite shower room and toilet.







Yesterday, I went down to the Cakes and Ale Holiday Park, to talk about the facilities, chose a seasonal pitch, and pay a deposit. 

I was offered a discount of £2000 for an annual pitch as the season started on April 1, and I won't be there until the end of May. 

On arrival, there was an immediate sense of space and a well-kept site.






The Receptionist was expecting me and apologised that she couldn't give me the tour as there were many arrivals that day for the Easter Break. She gave me a site map and marked the available seasonal plots.

The Reception is a welcoming cabin with a small shop, with available refreshments and an outside seating area,






Outside Reception was a scaled model of a WWII Mustang; evidence that the Holiday Park is on part of an American Airbase. The Memorial is to the 363rd Squadron, 357th Fighter Group, which lost 82 men during the war.







There is further evidence of the Fighter Group on the Park. The Holiday Park Bar is dedicated to the 'Yoxford Boys'. 

Beside the Reception area, there is another memorial statue - The Airman.

More information and exhibits can be found at the Long Shop, Leiston.

This respect for the history of the area and the environment, is one of the things that drew me to the Cakes and Ales Holiday Park site;







another is the fact that every pitch is fully serviced and beautifully landscaped. The Airbase had all services, including power, water, drains, and proper roads.

The Receptionist recommended Plot 9, to me. It's on the edge of the 'Adults only' area, and benefits from a side and rear hedge.

It's a very long pitch that allows me to park the Romahome in front of the caravan, creating even more privacy.

There's a grassy pitch beside it, for an awning (I'm considering a bespoke porch awning that's 2.4 metres wide.)









All the facilities are at one end. There's a tap that can be permanently connected to the water supply that lives outside the van, a drain for  the two grey water outlets (galley and shower), and 240v power (just 10amp so need to be careful with appliances such as kettle.) Power is on a meter that is read every season.

The run of pipes and cables will be on the hedge side of the caravan, so can be kept tidy and out of sight.






The seasonal pitches are closed from 30th October to April 1st, so I will be able to use the caravan for many memorable dates (apart from my anniversary). The owner of the site said I could visit the caravan on March 1st but would not be allowed to sleep there. I presume that is because the services will be switches off for the winter. 

The Park is very peaceful and, among the rules and regulations, is a no noise between 9pm and 8am. 


Although the Park is alongside a road, there is very little traffic, just vehicles visiting the Park. The road is almost a single track, with passing places for wider vehicles.




There is a dedicated dog walk on adjoining footpaths, a shower block with washer/dryers and Elsan disposal point.

I was very impressed with the conditions of the facilities. There were workers mowing the grass and keeping the place tidy and well-maintained.






The Park is also very pretty at this time of the year. I am looking forward to watching the seasons change from my own little Haven, in the coming years.








Barring any problems, I am having the caravan delivered to Plot 9 on 26th May. If I decided that I want move to a different site in the future, I can arrange that with little difficulty.

With this view from Plot 9, I can't see myself doing that any time soon.







The nearest beach is Sizewell, just 5 mins drive.

After lunch, yesterday, I visited Dunwich. 

Southwold is within 25 mins drive and would be my beach of choice for a day out.












No comments:

Post a Comment