Monday 3 January 2022

Trip to the River

 





Yesterday, I drove to the Danish Camp on the river Ouse, a drive of about 20 minutes, to check out the facilities and give Alf a long-overdue walk beside the river. 

It's accessed from a well-used footpath/cycleway and was full of families out for the day.







Parking was tight as the Camp's carpark was closed. I found a spot on the very narrow Chapel Lane. Then Alf and I headed off for a stroll, as far as my sore knee would allow. 


This was Willington Weir and Lock, which I remember from the one cruise we made to along the Great Ouse towards Bedford in about 1986. We never tried it again as we had fallen in love with the Cambridgeshire Fens and open farmland towards the Wash.








The Weir was very active. I remember the approach to the lock being hazzardous due to the strong pull away from the entrance.








 The landing stage on the downstream side of the lock is already covered with water.




The footpath turned away from the river at this point, heading for Sandy, a further three miles away. Alf and I headed back towards the Danish camp. On the return journey, I noticed a fallen tree in the river. It reminded me of the hazzards of boating in the winter. 

Nevertheless, as we watched the river making its way towards the weir, I felt the old longing to be back on the water, travelling slowly, feeling at one with the environment.

I must look again for a little dayboat that I can keep at a Marina on a river, and use the van for sleeping.









We passed the Moated Site on the return journey. It's on the opposite side of the footpath from the river, and  is an English Heritage Scheduled Ancient monument, one of the very few water-filled moats, still remaining from the viking age. 










This historical site has always been known as ‘Danish Camp’ and was opened to the public in August 2007.






















History tells of the Danes sailing from The Wash to Willington, where they made a homestead and repair harbour. Little wonder I feel an affinity with this river, due to my Viking (Elphick) ancestors.  The layout of the land that can be seen today certainly suggests a substantial settlement. 









As we rounded the corner to the Camp's Carpark, Alf spotted the wildfowl centre in the Moated site, he had been excited to find on the way out. This time, he was too tired to make a fuss and I was able to take photos in peace.










The other side of the enclosure housed Silkies. Alf was fascinated by them. They must have been giving out gentle vibes because he was nose to beak with one of them for quite a while.






I really enjoyed the walk and was pleased to note that it had taken over 5,500 steps to complete. The daughter is encouraging me to attend Park Run as a volunteer 'Tail Walker'. I'm not so sure I can manage that but she assures me that it doesn't have to be every week and that I will be allowed to take Alf with me, so we shall see what the weather brings.

What I did not enjoy was the lack of pee facilities, and the fact that I'd forgotten to pack the emergency system in the car. A wet bottom and damp shirt-tail resulted from the makeshift in-car attempt.


Next time, I shall definitely take Levant II. At the moment, she is being treated to a New Year Valet from Hitchin Valenting




























No comments:

Post a Comment