Friday 11 September 2020

The Adventure at the End of Year 1

  When the boat was sold, I felt bereft at losing my 'escape pod' to which I could retire for a few days of R&R.

Stage 1 - A lot of lateral thinking and searching led me to a boat-substitute - The Romahome Duo Outlook Compact. Yesterday, I took it out for a test drive. The 2L engine coped well with the hills and bends around Kidderminster. Reversing with a longer body, without working sensors was ok. It will come with a reversing camera.

The Adventure, Stage 2 is about to begin.



Enter Stage 2. The RAC is carrying out a comprehensive inspection next Friday. Anything found will be rectified by the motorhome garage, plus an annual habitation inspection to make sure all the caravan part is functioning properly. Then a warranty will be issued, and I proceed to stage 3 - purchase, insure, add to the RAC recovery membership.

Keep everything crossed that Levant II passes the inspection and I can take possession of my boat-substitute travelling accommodation pod. During my costing exercise, I discovered the annual running costs are about 1/5 of those of the boat.

Pictures of interior to follow.

The driving yesterday was even more dreadful than the reccie drive on Wednesday. My satnav maps need updating and I don't have the correct cable to connect to the laptop. I got lost five times, due to new roads, diversions, and roadworks. However, I decided to pick up the M1, despite the ongoing roadworks, and came back via the usual route through Harlington. 


I couldn't resist stopping to take photos of the views across the valley to Sharpenhoe Clappers. After a total of eight hours behind the wheel (including two refreshment/rest stops) I got home worn out but more hopeful that this is going to work; that I will take possession of Levant II in time for my birthday. The plan is to use her only for trips requiring an overnight stop or two...


No comments:

Post a Comment