Monday, 1 August 2016

Part two

The couple of days we spent at the boat were lovely. Lots of fresh air, plenty of exercise, and peace.

I'd soon clocked over 10,000 steps by walking Ron along the Stanwick Lakes path, past the trout fishing lake.

Then we checked the new facilities in progress at the marina -  the new toilet/shower block,

and the new porta-potti sluice.

Ron led the way  into the woods at the opposite side of the lake, tracking electricity cables' trench

that headed towards the river and the lock at Woodford.

At the point where the undergrowth grew thick, I lost sight of the cables, and turned back.

As I followed the cables back through the woods, I heard the unmistakeable sound of a mosquito buzzing near my left ear. I batted it away with my right hand. My hand felt irritated, as if I'd been stung by nettles.

By the next morning, my hand looked like this, and we were heading for the nearest pharmacy.

The pharmacist took one look at it and sent me to the local GP surgery across the road. The GP refused to see me, despite my recent bacterial infection. I was told to go to A&E, but phoned our own GP instead. I was given an immediate appointment (allowing for time to travel home).

By then, the hand had got worse, and the infection was spreading towards the elbow, The GP prescribed penicillin, and recommended holding it upright (something I'd instinctively been doing anyway).

48 hours later, the hand was beginning to look normal, and we had jungle formula spray (the lotion burns my skin) for our next visit to the boat. Moral of the story - even if you're well covered with long sleeves, and socks over your trouser bottoms, the buggers will find a way to feast on you if you don't apply some deet to exposed skin.

A bonus of the trip, was that Ron is beginning to settle on the boat. Until now, if we both stepped off and left him below decks, he would whine and whine, building up to a howl if he thought we had left him alone. Now, with lots of walks, and games aboard, not to mention his own 'cabin' and bed, he's relaxed enough to accept being left aboard. We'll extend the time that we're ashore, and then walk some distancce away to see how long he remains quiet. It's a long process, but one that has worked many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment