Tuesday 7 January 2014

New Beginnings

After a year of neglect, I am starting 2014 with a new fitness regime, beginning with a gentle build-up of stamina, suppleness, and balance. The intial activity is walking with MWNN and Ron, increasing distance and frequency.

There's a new(ish) drop-in class of Tai Chi for balance at the local Centre for Healthy Living. I added Tai Schi to my regime and went along on Monday for an hour's gentle workout with a very patient instructor.



The class began with a lengthy warm-up of a few chi kung exercises  designed to relax the hips and shoulders. These were followed by a spot of 'tai-chi walking', before we moved on to the short-form (Chen style)





The class is relatively small (12 of us). I was fortunate to be in a spot next to a retired physiotherapist who understood my knee problem and ankle weakness. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay on for refreshments at the end of the class as MWNN was waiting in the car after his walk with Ron.

A good beginning to the year. I'm itching to get back in the pool, but recognise the need to build up some muscle tone before I attempt vigorous aqua activities.