Saturday 9 November 2013

Away weekend

got off to a good start with an effortless journey on the A14 (thanks @ Sue Hayler)

Looking towards the sitting room from bedroom


I'd upgraded to a suite the day before and was directed to The Deben Suite on the ground floor of the main building. The suite consisted of an outer vestibule, a lobby with Utility cupboard, second lavatory, and desk, a sitting room, a large double bedroom and bathroom with shower, bath, bidet, and toilet.





Corner of sitting room



The sitting room has a large flat screen TV and the bedroom a smaller version. There are French Doors leading to the gardens which I haven't used due to inclement weather. The sitting room is cosy and very warm.






Sue and I had lunch in the bar. Some very nice thick-cut Suffolk Ham for me. Our event liason person scored lots of Brownie Points with me, when she gave me a jug of fresh milk to take to my room to replace theUHT cartons on the refreshments' tray.

Day Room - The Cornhill Room


Our 'package' of bed, breakfast and evening meal also included the use of a day-room and a private dining room for dinner.

Most group members were already in the Day Room, which was easy to find - just follow the sound of laughter along the corridor.




After a couple of hours knitting, knattering, and catching up with everyone's news, I enjoyed a massage which I'd pre-booked. No aromatherpy oils, a basic Swedish Massage from a young woman who took my request to 'go easy, I bruise' very seriously.




Dinner was a set menu with plenty of choice. For a small 'corkage' fee, Sue and I placed a bottle of alcoholic fizz on two of the three tables set out in the group's private dining room.









A selection of deserts, including this lovely cheesecake.







The food was excellent, served with efficiency by attentive, discreet staff.















I had great difficulty selecting a desert and, in the end, opted for the cheese platter. When it arrived, I was slightly overwhelmed. This would have made a substantial lunch all by itself, and I'd already eaten two courses (melton starter and Suffolk Pork main).






Towards the end of the meal (we over-ran somewhet), the owners of the local yarn shop introduced themselves and described some of the products they'd brought along. Some items were offered at a good discount and it was very difficult to abstain - some group members found it impossible.