Saturday 4 August 2012

Recovering fitness

is going well

Letchworth Nuffield Club Pool
Three days a week sees me heading for the Health and Fitness Club. I'm ringing the changes between pool and gym - aiming for a total of 30 minutes work-out in the gymn to strengthen the gluteuss maximus with some bike work and repeats on the leg press. Upping the weights on the leg press as that muscle gets stronger.

Yesterday was a great session. I arrived early for the pool (it was full to bursting at 12.15) so watched the medals rolling in at Eton Dorney while eating a banana and drinking an Innocent Smoothie. I waited an hour for the pool to clear, but it didn't. I got in at about 13.20 and did 20 minutes alternating breastroke, backstroke, and mongrel (breastroke arms, crawl kick) for 25 minutes.

After a shower, I dried off and changed into gymn kit. My trainers felt much tighter than usual and by the time I'd gone upstairs and done a few minutes on the bike, my little toes were screaming. I wonder how much feet should swell while swimming (if at all). I decided to call it quits and headed downstairs to wait for MWNN to pick me up.

While waiting, I watched  Ben Ainslie racing a very agressively tactical penultimate round of the Finn Class. The sheer strength and skill was evident as Ainslie battled to force the Dane into third place to ensure that GB was in a strong position going into the medal race on Sunday.

I'm in awe of the talent and effort that Team GB are demonstrating in these Olympics.