Friday 16 September 2011

Eggs


like they used to be, from Clarence Court.

On our return trip from Scotland earlier this year, we stopped to pick up some supplies at a motorway 'M&S Just Food'. The only eggs they had in stock were Burford Browns from Clarence Court Farms. Burford Browns  have a delicious, dense yellow yolk that reminds me of eggs from my childhood. Both MWNN and I loved them and went looking locally for more in the weeks that followed.

MWNN thought he'd found some in Morrisons. He's not too good at remembering details so what he actually bought were Cotswold Legbar (I understand why as it's the same hen illustrated on the box). These are much smaller eggs, a delicate blue colour but just as delicious as the Burford Browns. Legbar's  "deceivingly delicate outer shell colour hides a rich creamy yolk with a dense flavour. The Legbar have plump and upstanding yolks, proud to be tasty."


They reminded me of the bantam eggs I used to bring home from the 'pets' corner' at my primary school (one of the perks of being a 'helper' in the holidays) - small eggs with a stunning, deep yolk and flavour.

Clarence Court sells Bantam eggs, too. Must keep an eye out for them in the local supermarkets. Waitrose, Morrisons, Sainsbur, and M&S Food stock Clarence Court.



The Burford Browns and Cotswold Legbar are not the same breed, although they are both found in the Cotswolds.

Both provide delicious eggs. I doubt I'll go back to 'generic' free-range eggs when these are so readily available.