Sunday 17 July 2011

Friday 15th Part Two

After a rather hectic day entertaining my American guest, I arrived at the Village Hall for a 6pm rehersal start a little the worse for wear.

Gathering for the 'warm-up'
The evening began with a stressful 40 minute 'warm-up' as we waited for our Director to arrive. A very rapid 'run through' was followed by a break, during which I ate my chicken roll and drank my flask of tea. The hall had been set up with tables set with pre-concert nibbles to accompany the fruit punch or Pimms and ginger ale. Some of the audience brought their own wine and beer. The performance began at 8pm and ended somewhere around 10pm.



The accoustics in the hall were great but the stage was a rather snug fit and some of us (those at the very front) were outside the stage lights, which made reading our words tricky. The programme was as follows



First Half

I Saw Her Standing There
Unchain my heart
Conla's Well
Stand by me
Garten mothers lullaby
One Voice






Audience participation



The first half ended with a performance of a West African dance song designed to ward off evil spirits. Singing Aloud demonstrated the three parts and then Ruth divided the audience into three sections and they were subjected treated to a free lesson in three-part harmony.







The mid-concert break was extended so that everyne could partake of the delicious buffet set out in the smaller room. The raffle was drawn and then we were into the last section.

Beware Red Hatters




Second Half - began with some 'guest turns' -

Maggie's husband recited an amusing monologue.
Maggie and friend performed a 'Red Hat' song ~(wot Maggie wrote).
Fiona nd Chris peformed a song  composed 'speciallyfor the evening.
















DOT's Self Help Group performed 'Send in the cones' to the tune of 'Send in the Clowns'


Unity Singers sang 'Go to Sleep you Little Baby'.








Unity Singers and Singing Aloud reunited to round off the evening with
Love the one you're with
Tracks of my tears
Make you feel my love
Our Director, Ruth, presented her small band of helpers with flowers and then was overwhelmed as she became the recipient of gifts from her two choirs in gratitude for all the hard work and encouragement she gives us.







I had a fantastic time and came home buzzing. It was very difficult getting to sleep. When I finally did drop off coming up to 3am, I dreamed of singing. It came as no surprise that my moodscope score on Saturday was the highest ever.