Wednesday 15 September 2010

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness


It is Autumn, my favourite season of the year. October is my favourite month (probably because it's family birthday month), with September not far behind.

We took advantage of a rare sighting of the sun at the weekend and walked up by Roxley Court. The ploughed field beside the farmhouse was full of fungi. Pity we can't identify the edible ones,  MWNN is very fond of mushrooms.



I love autumn fruits; blackberries, pears and apples, Plums are on my daily menu, first thing in the morning with whatever else I'm eating. I'm not sure about elderberries, I'm fond of apple and elderflower juice but don't know if it's the flowers or berries that are used.



One of the reasons I like autumn is the weather. Early autumn is usually full of bright, cool, days, with temperatures that are neither too hot nor too cold. Half-term at the end of October often gave us the best cruising weather of the year.

But not this year. September has been damp and very windy with few bright, sunny days to light the changing colours in the garden and hedgerows.