Tuesday 31 August 2010

Winging it like Skywalker

I enjoy cooking. Sometimes I even enjoy experimenting and 'winging it'. Last Friday, I winged it like Luke Skywalker in the Death Star Canyon.




This was an improvised stir-fry made using ingredients I'd bought for two very different recipes, neither of which was a stir-fry.
Ingredients
Strips of beef
fresh carrots, onions, green peppers and tomatoes
frozen peas, sweet corn and brocoli
long grain rice




To MWNN's portion, I added ground ginger, honey, soy sauce and lime juice to the wok. (Yes, I splurged out and used two pans.)




Pudding was my very first home-made Summer Pudding, made using the blackberries I'd picked earlier in the week. I had fresh blueberries, cherries, raspberries and strawberries in the fridge which I simmered in apple and elderflower juice with the blackberries.

MWNN isn't overly fond of Summer Pudding but he had second helpings. I think the fresh cream may have had something to do with his enjoyment.

I think the bread should have been more stale and the lack of fruit juice meant the pudding was a little dry. But, for a first attempt, it wasn't bad. Leftovers made a nice breakfast the following morning.


OK, OK, technically, only the main course was 'winged', the pudding had been made on Thursday and sat,and waited weighted, in the fridge, until it was 'topped out' with fruit and more juice for the meal.