Monday 4 July 2022

Lowestoft - Home of the English sunrise.


Lowestoft

 




It's not very pretty.











No dogs allowed on South Beach at any time.












Navigating around the town is very tricky. Is this on the A47 or still the A12?










Or somewhere else.













 

The lighthouse, built 1874, is the latest in a series of towers established in 1609 to safeguard vessels along this dangerous stretch of the East coast









Lowestoft remains a busy Port; carrying cargo to and from Europe, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States; and a hub for offshore renewable energy,  giving an industrial air to the coastline.












I wouldn't choose Lowestoft as a holiday destination, despite the regeneration taking place around the Victorian-style glass Pavillion





I was in Lowestoft yesterday, to find a friend's art studio. She gave me excellent directions. I promised Alf a beach walk for his patience during the journey there and the bits where I really wasn't sure if I was in the right place.





Having disappointed Alf with the lack of beach walk at Lowestoft, and no suitable snacks to be had, 








we made our way to Southwold, for a late afternoon tea, and a paddle.


Despite valiant attempts to evade to waves, Alf got very wet and spent the drive home wrapped in my fleece.









Lowestoft may be the first place to see sunrise in England, but I wouldn't swap the Southwold sunrise over the Denes for anywhere else. Or the Sunset over Cakes and Ale Holiday Park, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment