Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Internet

is wonderful.

1972 (left) Vintage pattern (right)

In Sainsbury's recently, I spotted a waistcoat that looked remarkably like the one I'd worn to a wedding in 1972 (amazing how fashions return again and again, isn't it?). There was no way I was buying said garment when I could easily knit myself one in better quality yarn - something with a bit of drape, like Posh Yarn Sylvia.

I set about searching for a knitting pattern - without much success - until I posted a 'wanted' notice on Ravelry's Posh Knitters' group. Within a couple of minutes, I had a reply to my plea for a pattern similar to the 1972 garment. The 'vintage' pattern pictured on the right, is out of copyright, so it's free to download and use.

Posh Yarn Sylvia (Merino/Silk)


Not only that, but I put out a request on the same Posh group for more skeins of Posh Sylvia Aran (the colour is called 'what comes around goes around' so is well suited to returning fashion garment) in which to make the vintage vest. Again, within an hour, I had a response from someone who was willing to sell me their two skeins.



This isn't the first time I've experienced a swift response to a call for help. The first time was in 2006. We were in Italy and I'd picked up a tick on one of our walks through the countryside. I discovered it very late one night when in the bath. Neither MWNN nor I could remember the best course of action for removing a tick, so, knowing that my American contacts would still be online,  I posted an entry on my Blog asking for help. Within half an hour, I had an answer. MWNN performed the procedure, and, with the help of his Swiss Army knife, had removed the tick, head and all.

However did we manage before the Internet?