Sunday 22 July 2012

Cooking with lavender


When MWNN and I visited Hitchin Lavender, I asked if the farm's lavender was suitable for cooking. The assistant said it was but to use it sparingly, especially the dried version. I said I'd like to try using the lavender from my garden and was told that it would be ideal as it was best to use just picked lavender.






I searched for recipes online and came up with a fairly simple one for lavender shortbread. I'm keen to try it out and 'test' it on MWNN when he returns from cat-sitting duties at The Daughter's (104) house.








Ingredients
  • 150g plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 100g butter
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 2 tsp culinary dried lavender flowers
Method
Preheat oven to 160degC. Slightly crush 1tsp lavender flowers in a pestle and mortar to release the natural oils. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl with the caster sugar, butter and crushed lavender, and rub in using fingertips to make a crumbly mixture which can then be kneaded together to make a dough. Roll out to 1cm thick and cut into individual rounds. Sprinkle with the remaining lavender flowers, pressing them down gently until they stick, then bake for 10-15 mins until the shortbread is just starting to brown. Leave for 10 mins before removing from baking tray, and sprinkle with caster sugar.







If my baking is OK, I plan to take some lavender shortbread to Wales, for a friend, when I visit following cheering on 103 and 104 in Ironman UK Wales


Ironman UK, Bolton is happening today. You can track 103 and 104 on the day using the competitor tracking.