Monday 5 March 2012

Good vibrations



Rumination - constantly replaying something in your mind and dwelling on the injustice of it all, thinking about what you should have said or done, without taking any positive action.

One of the most effective exercises I have done during singing or tai chi warm-ups is 'replaying a mental video' of a good event or happy time. It really works in setting the mind in a relaxed and positive state at the beginning of a session.

If we are able to subsitute ruminating on the negative events that areon the past or beyond our control with a positive mental 'video', our lives would be much more stable and productive.

Luckily for me, I have a digital video that brings a smile to my lips every time I see Ron's grinning face and watch him scampering across the beach and into the sea - much easier than trying to replay it in my head. I'm sure if I replay it often enough, I will be able to call it up any time to relace those endless loops of negative thoughts.