Tuesday 31 January 2012

Wild Thing


My first attempt at knitting a proper chunky jacket went very well indeed. I finished it some weeks ago but needed to find suitable buttons (from an old Aran cardigan) and weave in the ends before taking photos.

I used almost eight skeins of  King Cole Riot Chunky
in the colour 'Wildflower'.







The pattern is Brandi by Cheri Christia. It's mostly garter stitch, with ribbed lower sleeves. I worked the collar in seed stitch instead of rib.

I'm really pleased with the length. I knitted it a few sizes bigger than my normal size 12 to allow for lots of layers underneath.









It's definitely an outdoor coat that will be put to the test on our next trip to Southwold at the end of February.

I'm wearing it here with a DK scarf (underneath) and chunky King Cole hat.

King Cole is more affordable  than Noro but contains acrylic that is prone to split. The finish is softer than Noro too, but I suspect it's less hard-wearing.