Tuesday 8 November 2011

Fitness routine

Last week, my PT took me through the torture recovery and strengthening routines she's devised for my gym sessions.

I want to get my knee functioning properly again before I go back to the swim sessions. I also asked her for some upper body exercises to strengthen my arms, which have always been a bit weak.

Lots of 2 x 12 repeats on the machines for exercising the legs and then even more 2 x 12 on different machines for the arms. With my legs, I'm starting with 15kg weights, but for the arms, I can't manage more than 10kg (and in some cases even less than that) at the moment.

All this preceded by 1000m 'warm-up' on the rowing machine at 30 strokes per minute. The whole routine, including rests, should take about an hour. 

I'm aiming for 3 times a week for gym sessions. This should be easier to achieve than 3 swim sessions as I can use the gym at any time, whereas, if I want a lane to myself, I have to be in the pool between 12.30 and 1pm.

New regime begins on our return from Southwold.