Thursday 29 September 2011

It will get a lot worse before it gets better

So quoth the medic when giving me a cortisone injection into a ligament at the front of my right knee.

Never were words more true.

He'd diagnosed a strained medial collateral ligament (swimmer's knee, common to those who swim breaststroke). Standard treatment is anti-inflamatory pills first, cortisone injection only if they fail, but I said I didn't want to take any more pills and was not happy with the thought of anti-inflamatory medicine going all around my body. Injection delivers it directly to the affected part.

The injection (a cocktail of local anaesthetic and cortisone) itself was painless, and the knee was numb for about an hour afterwards. But, when the anaesthetic wore off  - boyohboyohboy!

No exercise until next Monday and then 'take it gently' for a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm dozing a lot (no bad thing with this amount of pain) because paracetamol  always has a knock-out effect.

The bad news is that for 20% of patients, cortisone doesn't work. The good news - for 80%, it does.