Tuesday 9 August 2011

What a lift

that gave me.

I'd been feeling so down about not being able to attend The Event and when I was 'there', virtually, I sort of overdid it and attended everything on the workshop programme on Saturday. By the end of the afternoon I was really tired and feeling a bit under the weather again. 

As a resut, I slept late on Sunday and missed the first two items on the programme. One of these was a new addition to the Sunday windup procedings - the 'Sparkly Umbrella Awards' . It must have been the 'brain fog' but I actually thought the 'sparkly umbrella' referred to the Event tradition of consuming cocktails. I should have remembered the reason we started WriterConUK in 2006 - to bring together BTVS fans who usually met online.

Sparkly umbrella award made its appearance in 'The Prom'. To quote Jonathan

"This is actually a new category. First time ever. I guess there were a lot of write-in ballots, and, um, well, t-the prom committee asked me to read this. “We’re not good friends. Most of us never found the time to get to know you, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t noticed you. ......... But whenever there was a problem, ........ you seemed to show up and stop it. Most of the people here have been ..... helped by you at one time or another. ......... So the senior class offers its thanks and gives you, uh, uh, this.” 
[Jonathan produces a gold, glittering, miniature umbrella with a small metal plaque attached to the shaft
Jonathan: It’s from all of us, and it has written here, “Buffy Summers, Class Protector”.

So, what a surprise I had when I finally logged into Skype at the beginning of the AGM.  The Chair took the part of Jonathan and showed me the 'Class Protector' award I'd been given at the Sparkly Umbrella Awards session.

It feels so good to know that I really was missed this year.

ETA - London neeeds a 'Class Protector' right now.