Wednesday 20 July 2011

Lavender

is one of my favourite things. We're very lucky to live on the 'right side' of the Stotfold Road when it comes to growing lavender (not roses). We are on the edge of the Chiltern Hills which are chalkland - lavender thrives in chalky soil.
Hitchin Lavender - towards the Icknield Way (running across the top of the hill)

On Friday last,  I took my American visitor up to the lavender farm at the top of the hill.  The lavender is superb at the moment. Yesterday, in preparation for today's bi-weekly visit by the jobbing gardener, I bought four new Hidcotes to go beside the elderly one which flowers superbly every year. We won't see any lavender flowers from the new plants this year, but they will put out fresh flower stalks next Spring.

ETA 13.20 - Total fail by gardener! Despite the fact that he had removed a lot of Michaelmas Daisies on his last visit in preparation for the lavender, he ignored the four pots because I wasn't there to give him instructions. I got very hot and sticky (not to mention having an alergic throat) planting the Hidcotes beside the resident bush.