Tuesday 11 January 2011

Swimming again

I went swimming yesterday for the first time since October when I began having serious problems getting my asthma under control. My lungs are pretty much back to what passes for normal for me with no night-time coughing and peakflow back up to around 360-380. It felt so good to be back in the water and I managed a respectable 500m in 17 minutes.

Why do I swim? I like the feeling of floating and sliding through the water. There are psychological benefit to swimming - I focus on the rhythm of the stroke and count the laps. This form of meditation helps me gain a feeling of well-being, leaving the  session refreshed and ready to go on with the rest of the day. I swim for the physical health benefits to my  heart and lungs. Swimming  exercises almost the entire body - heart, lungs, and muscles - with very little joint strain. Swimming can develop  general strength, cardiovascular fitness and endurance.

I also like it, particularly when the pool empties over the lunch hour and I have the lane to myself. I like the feeling of being supported by the water and concentrating on the rhythm of the  breastroke so that I complete each 25m lap in 12 - 13 strokes.