Wednesday 17 November 2010

So much to do, so little time

I find myself questioning the reason why people are in such a rush all the time, and thinking, "where does this state of living get us?  We rush here, we get stressed there; and to what purpose? Does it make us enjoy our life anymore?  Do we get any more done?" What happens to all the time we save?

We  might get more done but at what cost to our quality of life? How often do we 'multi-task'? I know I find it impossibe to eat a meal alone without doing something at the same time - watch the news, listen to the radio, read a book. And, in doing so, I am not appreciative (most of the time) of the food I am eating.


What is this life if full of care. We have no time to stand and stare?
 I'm one of life's control freaks, never happier than when my whole day is 'mapped out' (by me) with lots of meaningful activities. But, since my asthma has worsened and I've had to cut back on my commitments, I've taken the time to 'stop and stare' - at the colours in the garden in the winter sunshine, the variegation on the yarn I am working, the stars from my bedroom window, Ron curled asleep beside me on the bed, and, yes, the fresh bread of the tomato sandwich I had for lunch. Instead of focusing on all the things left undone during this  'time-out', I count my blessings -  so much more beneficial than counting  the 'should haves' and 'oughts'.