Thursday 28 October 2010

Virtual jamming

So how did my first bodhran session go? Very well, thank you. Chris is a really nice chap and a good teacher. He said that he knew as soon as I took my first few strokes that I had the skills needed to be a bodhran player. He loaned me a bodhran and told me to practice every day in sessions that last about 10 minutes. I decided to search the web to see if there were any sites that would help me do this and found Bodhran Expert - a site with teaching videos and useful information and links.

 
Teaching video: the mother of all jigs

Michelle is an excellent teacher. Her videos provide enough practice of the strokes she is teaching that I felt confident enough to try playing the 'mother of all jigs' with three jigs on the Virtual Jamming Session link she provided. Click the Virtual session to see how it works.

My teacher, Chris, is keen to teach me to play other drums, starting with  the African djembe.

The next part of the plan is to buy a bodhran of my own. The search is on. Watch this space.



For those interested, this is a bodhran. It is played vertically with a tipper (stick)







and this is a djembe, which is usually played horizontally, using both hands.