Thursday 21 October 2010

The 'To Do' List

When I took early retirement, I had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my life. There was only one item on my 'To Do' List - to finish my degree. By the time I'd a 2:1 under my belt at the end of 1999, the 'To Do' List had grown somewhat. There was a book to write, some embroidery projects to begin and a whole 'other life' beckoning aboard the narrowboat in France.

One thing led to another and I'm now busy doing things I had forgotten I enjoyed - singing harmony with a group of women, knitting, swimming, and writing to name but a few. Then there was the re-discovery of the joy to be had in accompanying myself and others on the guitar - which leads me to the point of this journal entry.

I've wanted to learn to play the drums since I was a teenager listening to Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, and Ginger Baker. It was clear to me then that I had neither the ability to make four limbs do different things at the same time, nor to keep a harmony line going while doing so, and nothing ever came of this ambition. Instead, I concentrated on teaching myself to play guitar.







Now, with time at my disposal, I'm keen to learn to play drums, a drum. The Bodhrán. I read that guitarists find the bodhran relatively easy to learn. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for MWNN and the neighbours) there is no sign of a local Bodhrán teacher. There are plenty of Gaelic bands but not a one that offers to tutor would-be musicians.