Tuesday 19 October 2010

So it's 'Daughters' week is it?

Wasn't it also March 28th to April 3rd? Who dreams up these things anyway and why do we need 'official' notification and 'permission' to celebrate them?

I admit to feeling a twinge of guilt at not clicking the 'like' button on Facebook yesterday. If I didn't do that, would people  judge me as a bad mother who doesn't conform to the 'norm' (who defines that?) in her relationship with her adult daughter? 

Human beings need routine. It's certainly what helps me get through the day. But when routines becomes inflexible and knee-jerk reaction becomes the norm, do we lose what makes us truly human?

The National Nothing Foundation was founded in 1973 to protest the proliferation of special days and weeks by providing ... one 24-hour period when (people) can just sit--without celebrating or honouring anything. ...  National Nothing Day is celebrated worldwide every year on January 16. The only regret ..... in the Nothing Foundation is that, in order to combat the proliferation of special days, they were forced to create an additional special day. How ironic.

There are more 'special days' this week. According to one calendar (where there's no mention of daughters), it's also National Parents' Week, National Baking Week and Energy Saving Week. Then there are other 'newly-made' days in the remainder of October - International Stammering Awareness Day, Everyone Writes Day, National Sleep-In Day to name but a few. Who makes these? How do they find their way onto 'official' calendars? Do they disappear when they are no longer 'flavour of the month'?

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against celebrations. I 'do' Christmas, Mothering Sunday, Easter, Halloween, and New Year along with most people in this country. I mark family birthdays with celebration and gifts. But I think that the proliferation of 'special days' has got out of hand. Even if I wanted to, it's impossible to mark every one that has made its way onto different calendars. Apart from not finding some of them relevant to my life, the sheer number defeats the purpose of naming and celebrating them as 'special.